Yes, technology can be found to be numerously adverse to marriages and relationships in general, but upon keenly looking into its applications, it can be just as beneficial if not more. Technology can improve or even alleviate marital issues that occur in these times. How therefore can technology impact your marriage positively?
- Technology can be vital to making up for geographical distance and time spent apart. With technology, couples can connect through face-timing each other and this helps spouses, in a sense, fill the absence of each other. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but too much of it can cause spouses to drift from each other mentally. That is where face-timing comes in since it enables real time interaction.
Face-timing can also be a good way to alleviate or discuss matters of importance. Married couples should not discuss all matters only when together. Face-timing can also be a good way to discuss some issues set aside and it helps to show the level of importance and urgency in the matter.
- Technology is a great medium for helping couples to mitigate outbursts in moments of disagreement. It is much easier to get riled up when arguing with a spouse physically as compared to over text where you can take time to read into what has been said and understand it from their point of view before responding.
- With technology, married couples can set reminders for important events, commitments or deadlines associated with each other. This way, couples can always be attuned to each other’s expectations, meet those commitments, and help prevent the blame game. It ensures that couples are well organized hence preventing any last-minute rushes.
- Technology can help spouses keep track of each other’s activities and geographical location especially if a spouse has a history of promiscuity. It prevents dishonesty as one has to be accountable for their whereabouts and activities. Keeping tabs can help assuage any fears and suspicions that a spouse may have on their partner hence preventing any conflicts that may arise if this was not the case.
- With technology, married couples or families can be brought together. Technology has evolved over time and with it has come the emergence of family shows, gaming experiences and many more activities. Married couples can set aside days where they watch movies or shows together, have a challenging game night or participate in other family inclusive activities such as virtual experiences, just to mention but a few.
- Social media allows spouses to learn of each other’s interests and hobbies. People nowadays create a whole aspect of their life around social media and this is just as important to learn about. A spouse could show support of that life by viewing, liking and commenting on their partners posts and timelines. This helps to show their partners that they not only pay attention to their own personal interactions but also to their social life. It therefore helps to improve communication and connectivity among them.
Technology is a part of our lives. We can therefore conclude that when used appropriately, it can play a major role in improving and impacting marriages positively.